What To Do Before You Move
If you own your present home
- Arrange to have your gas, water, and electric meters read on the day you leave and have the bills forwarded to your new address
- Have your oil tank read and filled before your sale closes, and provide a receipt to your legal professional if required
- If the water heater or furnace is rented, arrange for a transfer of the rental agreement to the purchaser
- Disconnect your telephone, cable TV, and water softener.
If you rent your present home:
- Give necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements for the return of any monies you have on deposit.
At your new home:
- Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, water softener, telephone and cable TV to be connected on the day the sale closes.
- Get "Change of Address" cards from the post office and send out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
- Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pick-up, newspapers, magazines, diaper and other home services. Arrange for service at your new address.
- Obtain a letter of introduction from your current branch to help establish new accounts. Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription and optical records.
- Change the address on your driver's license(s) effective the day of the move.
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair or storage. e.g. fur coats, dry cleaning.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables, such as plants.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.
- Dispose safely of all flammable liquids as it is illegal for movers to carry them.